Pages - Menu

Thursday, February 24, 2011

How can we know if we really love God, and not just the ideas of holiness or the church or the bible or anything like that? How do we love God?
Anonymous

Well, maybe just ask yourself this: How often do I pray, and what is my prayer like?

That’s the thermometer.

Mary’s love for God was expressed most intensely by what she said to the angel: “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” If my prayer is like that, then I’m not fooling myself.

We’re human beings and we’re complicated inside: It’s normal to have a little bit of self-seeking (looking for “holiness” like I look to make myself handsome or beautiful… a little bit for my own vanity) mixed in with love for God. Don’t worry. God will purify that little by little.

Does that answer your question?

God bless you!

- Father Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment